WHO WE ARE
S-RM is a global intelligence and cyber security consultancy. Since 2005, we’ve helped some of the most sophisticated clients in the world solve some of their toughest strategic challenges.
We’ve been able to do this because of our outstanding people. We’re committed to developing bright, curious, driven individuals who want to think critically, solve complex problems, and achieve success.
But we also know that work isn’t everything. It’s about the lives and careers it helps us build. We’re immensely proud of this culture and we invest in our people’s wellbeing, learning, and ideas every day.
We’re excited you’re thinking about joining us.
WORKING IN STRATEGIC INTELLIGENCE AT S-RM
The world’s most advanced companies get expert opinions when they make complex decisions about where and how they operate. That’s where our Strategic Intelligence practice comes in.
We provide intelligence and advice which helps organisations do business across the globe and in some of the world’s most challenging environments. This includes everything from identifying market opportunities, to forecasting political change, monitoring legal environments, and analysing economic trends.
We’re driven by a deep curiosity in how the world really works. Every day we seek to develop our expertise in how governments, societies, and companies operate and influence the world around them.
But whilst we have our individual areas of expertise, to answer these complex questions we have to work together. We have so much to learn from one another, and our project teams are designed to bring out our best whilst also creating opportunities for everyone to contribute and grow.
To do this, we don’t get too hung up on hierarchy. Everyone’s ideas are considered equally and we’re happy to give significant responsibility to those who deserve it.
If that sounds like your kind of team, we’d like to hear from you.
As an Analyst, you’ll play a vital role in supporting the Strategic Intelligence team. Your (geo)political and economic research will underpin key projects for our most important clients. You’ll be exposed to a wide range of work as you build your expertise and experience in the team.
Your work will include:
- Supporting and leading client projects through in-depth research on geopolitical, macro-economic, commercial, political and security affairs globally.
- Providing research, writing and design support for client proposals and presentations.
- Publishing articles and thought leadership pieces.
- Proof-reading and copy-editing your colleagues’ work.
- Contributing to our flagship Global Security Insight (GSI) intelligence platform by writing daily alerts on political violence and security developments globally and maintaining country risk reports.
The role will be based in our Cape Town office; however, we have flexible working arrangements available.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We think candidates with the following experience and qualifications are likely to succeed as Strategic Intelligence Analysts.
That said, if you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box – we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others.
We nurture a culture of equality, diversity and inclusion and we are dedicated to developing a workforce that displays a variety of talents, experiences and perspectives.
We’re looking for people who are:
Adaptable: you should be excited about adapting your research, analytical and writing skills to a range of projects. If you’re as interested in sustainability regulations in central Asia as you are in elections in Europe and inflation rates in America, that’s a good sign.
Analytical: your curiosity should extend beyond what’s happening in the world to how the world really works. You want to understand the impact of events on people and companies and are interested in implementing methodologies and frameworks to do that.
Collegiate: you share your expertise but appreciate how much you have to learn from others. You enjoy having your ideas challenged and working out how best to work as a team to solve problems.
We’re looking for the following experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in economics, political science, regional studies, development studies or similar fields.
- Relevant professional experience servicing private sector clients is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills in English.
- Knowledge and interest in global developments relating to several relevant subject areas such as geopolitics, macro-economics, and security affairs.
- Working knowledge (reading and writing) in international languages such as French, Arabic, Spanish, Mandarin or Portuguese is desirable but not essential.
The jobholder will need to have the following key personal skills and attributes to perform successfully in this role:
- Clear interest in the relevant subject areas pertaining to the role.
- Astute analytical ability.
- Creative mindset and eagerness to contribute to new ways of thinking.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise among competing tasks.
- Eagerness to discover new areas and a self-starting learner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a close-knit team with multiple priorities.
Candidates must have permission to work in South Africa by the start of their employment.
We offer thoughtful, balanced rewards and support to help our people do their best work and live their lives outside it, this includes but is not exhaustive of:
- 23 days holiday per year in addition to bank holidays (+1 day for every day of service up to a maximum of 28 days).
- Parental Support:
- Fertility treatment leave – 5 days of leave per cycle of treatment per year;
- Maternity leave – 26 weeks of full pay followed by 13 weeks of half pay;
- Paternity leave – 6 weeks of full pay.
- Various Health and Medical Benefits:
- Medical Aid and Gap Cover Policy (taxable benefit);
- Gym discounts for you and your partner;
- Free access to the world-famous mindfulness app Headspace;
- Financial education – free 1-2-1 consultations and mortgage clinics.
- Hybrid working and flexible working hours
To apply for this role, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
S-RM nurtures a culture of equality, diversity and inclusion and we are dedicated to developing a workforce that displays a variety of talents, experiences and perspectives.