The individual in this role must be able to work independently, take a hands-on approach and effectively interface with professionals and business leaders at all levels. The HR Manager is responsible for the adaptation and implement of global HR policies and programmes on a local basis as well as the implementation of local programmes and initiatives. The individual will be required to establish HR priorities and cover areas such as recruitment, employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, learning and development and staff retention. The role draws on the support and expertise of the HR team in the London office: recruitment, learning & development and compensation and benefits. This role is a central position in the Cape Town office which currently has 50 employees and continues to grow rapidly.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Global & Local HR:
- Support the London-based HR Director in the development of a company-wide HR strategy and deliver the global HR plan in the Cape Town office;
- Ensure there is the consistent application of HR policies and procedures by line managers as well as alignment across all areas
- Develop and update S-RM’s South African HR policies. Ensure these are aligned with global company practice (includes maternity, annual leave, sick leave, disability and advising employees on the expense policy and reviewing expense claims as required, etc).
- Ensure S-RM’s policies and contracts are legal and appropriate with the use of SA Lawyers (as regards BCEA and SA Health and Safety laws);
- Work with the SA Director and UK HR Director to promote company culture and values. Identify and deliver initiatives to promote and embed company values and culture. Using diagnostic measures assess the impact of these initiatives and monitor changes;
- Conduct research and analyse trends and metrics to influence business decisions with proactive and reactive solutions on recruitment, performance, retention and employee experience;
- Maintain a strong focus on employee relations to manage and resolve complex staff issues regarding performance, employee engagement, retention activities, development initiatives and compensation and benefits. This will include the successful management of re-structure and redundancy processes in agreement with company and legal best practice;
- Maintain detailed knowledge of internal and external legal requirements related to the day-to-day management of employees to reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance; and
- Line management of the HR administrator.
Learning & development:
- Provide coaching and advice to build management and staff capabilities; influencing thinking and behaviours to achieve successful outcomes;
- Responsible for Talent Management including supporting the HR Director in creating and managing a talent pipeline for the business, talent mapping and contingency planning;
- Complete training needs analysis for the CT Office. Draft and implement development plans in collaboration with the L&D Manager and Management;
- Implement global L&D initiatives in the CT office with the support of the L&D Manager;
- Collaborate with the L&D Manager on programmes such as the mentoring, LinkedIn Learning; and
- Develop programmes and initiatives that aid the achievement of future people goals. i.e. internships, work experience and work shadow programmes.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Oversee the management of employee benefits in the CT office;
- Sign off the monthly HR changes to payroll for SA employees;
- Support the C&B Manager with salary benchmarking, setting salary ranges and the employee benefits audit; and
- Partner with the C&B Manager to ensure successful secondments.
- Manage the entire recruitment lifecycle for S-RM’s Cape Town office with support from the Global Recruitment Manager, including but not limited to: direct recruitment & headhunting activities, liaising with and briefing agencies, interviewing candidates, graduate recruitment and creating a directory of recruitment tools which can be used across departments; and
- Partnering with the Recruitment Manager on building the S-RM brand as an employer of choice.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Drive office transformation through Employment Equity in alignment with the business’ strategic goals and regulatory requirements (EE, SD, SP etc.). EE reporting internally and externally. Identify EE barriers and affirmative action measures. Develop a plan of action to achieve the EE goals of the business;
- Participate in and facilitate the EE committee and D&I forum. Communicate requirements and drive follow-through actions; and
- Promote diversity and inclusion programs in partnership with the stakeholders and business needs.
The role will be based in our Cape Town office
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The qualifications and experience required to perform this role successfully are:
- Completed a 3 year degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution or equivalent
- 5-8 years experience in Human Resources, some of which should have been foccussed on the area of Talent Management
- Strong recruitment background
- Demonstrable knowledge of the BCEA, EEA and LRA
- Strong employee relations background including experience of handling re-structures and redundancies
- Experience of developing HR policies and processes
- Working knowledge of SA labour law best practice
- Ability to advise and coach managers on HR policies and procedures and handling employee issues
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Some knowledge of using a HRMS
- Experience of working for an international organisation would be preferable but not essential
The individual will need to have the following key personal skills and attributes to perform successfully in this role:
- Energetic self starter who takes owndership and leads by example and has a willingness to tackle problems head on
- Very strong communication skills both written and verbal with the ability to delivery difficult messages in a professional manner and able to influence
- A proven ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proactive in approach and willingness to work outside of the job specification and can be flexible
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Strong administration skills
- Integrity and approachability, team player
The successful candidate must have permission to work in South Africa by the start of their employment.